Black Pepper Squid with stir fry green vegetables and lemon sauce
• 1 Tbsp corn starch
• ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp water
• ½ cup sugar
• Zest and juice from 2 lemons
• 2 cm knob of ginger, sliced
• 1 clove garlic, sliced
• ¼ tsp turmeric powder
• 2 Tbsp olive oil
• 500ml oil for frying
Black Pepper Squid
• ¼ cup each of plain flour and rice flour
• 3 tsp salt
• 3 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1 tsp chilli flakes
• 500g Shore Mariner Squid Rings, defrosted
• 1 cup broccoli florets
• 1 cup snow peas or asparagus
• 4 spring onion cut into 3cm lengths
- Combine the corn starch with 2 tablespoons of water until free from lumps.
- In a small pot, combine the remaining water, sugar, lemon, ginger, garlic, turmeric and olive oil. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 1-2 minutes without reducing.
- Pour in the corn starch mixture while stirring and continue to simmer until the sauce is syrupy and glossy. Remove from the heat and set to one side.
- In a heavy bottom, high sided pan pre heat the oil for frying to 180°C. Combine the two flours, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Dredge Shore Mariner Squid Rings in the flour mixture until well coated. Shallow fry the squid rings in batches, until golden on all sides.
- Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel. Season to taste if necessary. Sauté the green vegetables on a high heat in a little oil until tender.
- Stir through the lemon sauce and serve immediately topped with the black pepper squid.