Saffron Scented Seafood Chowder
• 500g Shore Mariner Marinara Mix, defrosted and drained
• 250g Shore Mariner Cooked & Peeled Shrimps, defrosted and drained
• ½ cup med white wine
• 16 Saffron Threads or 1 t turmeric
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 small onion small diced
• ½ a leek small diced
• 1 med carrot small diced
• 1 stick celery small diced
• 1 tsp crushed garlic
• 3 large potatoes small diced
• 2 cups fish stock
• 1 cup cream
• 4 Tbsp cornflour
• 1 tsp lemon zest
• 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
• Salt & pepper
• Sour cream to garnish
• 1 Tbsp chopped chives to garnish
- Warm the wine a little and add the saffron threads and let them steep for at least 20 minutes or mush them in the wine with the back of a teaspoon.
- In a large saucepan heat the oil, and gently sauté the onion, leek, carrot, celery and garlic without colouring. *If using turmeric add here.
- Add potato and fish stock, bring to the boil, add wine and simmer for 10 minutes. Then, add Shore Mariner Marinara Mix, Shore Mariner Cooked & Peeled Shrimps and cream, bring back to a simmer.
- Mix cornflour with a little wine or water and stir through chowder to thicken a little, remove from the heat.
- Stir through zest and chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish the top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives, accompanied with crusty bread.